On Thursday, March 12, the Crescent City Farmers Market community will host a book signing like no other. CCFM Cooks! is generously sponsored by TABASCO®. Local chefs, farmers and market shoppers will recreate recipes they contributed to the Crescent City Farmers Market Cookbook, and autograph copies with Poppy Tooker. Locavore guru, Alice Waters of Chez Panisse, who penned the foreword, is the evening’s honorary chair. Alice’s autograph will add immeasurably to a first edition copy. The 7-9 p.m. event is $50 per person and will take place in the courtyard of Tulane University Square (formerly Uptown Square). The Patron Party begins at 6 p.m. and features farm fresh cocktails and conversation with Alice Waters, special chef offerings and a cookbook for $250 per party of two. For $500 per party of two, one of Alice’s signed cookbooks is added. For tickets, call 504.861.4485 or purchase them at the Welcome Tent of either our Tuesday or Saturday market. Tickets available online! The event is co-chaired by Margaret Saer Beer and Leah Whann.
Farm fresh cocktails by our friends with Tales of the Cocktail, locally brewed Abita Beer and wine courtesy of our neighbor Hopper's Wine and Spirits will be poured at the event. Chefs, farmers and market shoppers are creating recipes from the cookbook at the event. Featured participants include:
- Chris Montero | Bacco
- Darin Nesbit | Bourbon House
- Tory McPhail | Commander’s Palace
- Emmanuel Loubier | Dante’s Kitchen
- Kay Brandhurst | Four Winds Seafood
- Anne Churchill | Karma Kitchen
- Dave Cash | Market Shopper
- La Divina Gelateria
- Stephen Stryjewski | Cochon
- Adolfo Garcia | Rio Mar
- Bruce Gallassero | Market Shopper
- Justin Pitts | Pitts Farm
- Jim Core | Taylor’s Happy Oaks Farm
In late 2008, marketumbrella.org “graduated” from Loyola University and was granted inde-pendent 501(c)3 status. Cookbook sales and funds generated by the event support the following CCFM programs to grow the market community:
• Seeding our Market: bringing more small farmers and fisherman to market
• Meet Me at the Market, how we bring kids and seniors into the world of markets;
• Marketeer Club for young shoppers under age 14, featuring monthly kids activities
• Market events, such as our upcoming garden party featuring info and demos on everything from seed selection to composting, a 4th of July Croissant City celebration & more!
• And our efforts to “green” our markets (free municipal water, reusable bags, etc…)
Hope to see you Thursday, March 12!
Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the field of public markets for public good. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round in four New Orleans neighborhoods. The CCFM hosts nearly 80 local small farmers, fishers and food producers, and more than 100,000 shoppers annually.