This recipe for Focaccia Pizza with Local Veggies and Goat Cheese gets dinner on the table in about 20 minutes. Pick up focaccia from Challah at Me, goat cheese from Bill Ryals of Rockin' R Dairy and farm fresh veggies from your favorite produce vendor, throw the pizza in the oven and enjoy.
One loaf focaccia bread, sliced lengthwise
One vidalia onion, sliced
Two squash, cut into crescents
One large creole tomato (or two smaller ones!), sliced
Two green peppers, sliced
Two anaheim peppers, seeds removed, sliced
Ryal's Garlic Chevre
Four cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil, about 2 or 3 tablespoons
Balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup or so
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Fresh basil from the garden, preferably lots!
Prep step: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Place sliced tomatoes in shallow bowl; cover with a generous amount of balsamic vinegar, sliced fresh basil, and some salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Saute all veggies, excluding anaheim peppers and tomatoes, with olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper, over medium heat for about 6-8 minutes, or until onions become translucent.
3. Place balsamic-coated tomatoes and basil over focaccia bread from the center outward, so they leave about 1" to the edge of the bread. Drizzle remaining balsamic vinegar over the focaccia.
4. Mound the sauteed veggies over the tomatoes, keeping the 1" edge.
5. Place sliced anaheim peppers on top, followed by chunks of the goat cheese.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until anaheim peppers have begun to brown slightly and the goat cheese becomes gooey.
7. Allow pizza to cool for a few minutes before enjoying.