Categories: Market News Date: Nov 10, 2009 Title: Vote here for the Crescent Fund!
Election time is here! Come to the market, Saturday, November 14th or Tuesday, November 17th to submit your ballot, or vote online, starting Monday, November 9th, for the Crescent Fund. Decide which projects receive your market investment!
Learn about the projects that have applied. Be an informed voter and review the summaries of the proposed projects below or read the full applications here.
1. Mulch Laying Machine, Farmers Joycelyn and Anthony Accardo - Paulina, LA
• Funds will contribute to the purchase of a mulch laying machine
which increases production, lessens waste and chemical usage, and opens
different times of the year to planting and harvesting.
• Funds will be returned to the market by providing cauliflower for tasting at the monthly Taste and Choose events at the Crescent City Farmers Market.
2. Carver Gardens, GW Carver Culinary - New Orleans, LA
• Funds will be used to purchase products from the Crescent City Farmers Market for student expertise projects to learn the fundamentals of food, from buying ingredients to preparing meals for the classroom.
• Funds will be used at the market, benefiting the vendors. The class will keep a log of foods cooked and eaten, which will serve as a recipe book to be shared at the market. If the program is successful, it could be replicated throughout the school district, benefiting the community at large.
3. Books 2 Prisoners, The Louisiana Books to Prisoners Project - New Orleans, LA
• Funds will be used to purchase postage and cover shipping costs for the mailing of reading materials free of charge to prisoners, benefiting the community by decreasing the likelihood that released inmates will "re-offend".
• Funds will be returned to the market by volunteering at the market, working at the Welcome Tent and increasing awareness of prisoner literacy among the market community.
4. Trouser House Soil and Water Reclamation, Trouser House - New Orleans, LA
• Funds will be used to purchase soil and water pumps for the non-profit's urban farming initiative in the St. Claude Arts District that advances contemporary art, nurtures food activism and furthers community cohesion.
• Funds will be returned to the market through free advertising and flyer design. Trouser House will advertise both Crescent City Farmers Markets at the "St. Claude Second Saturday Arts Events".
5. Desire Market at the Pearl, The Pearl of New Orleans LLC - New Orleans, LA
• Funds will support the effort to clean up and clear out a space in the Bywater neighborhood to create a covered market for local vendors.
• Funds will be returned to the market through time by volunteering at market as needed.
6. Transportation for independence, God’s Vineyard - New Orleans, LA
• Funds will be used to assist in the acquisition of a van, which will be used to purchase food for animals, gardening supplies, as well as transport bottling equipment for our St. Thomas 7 Pepper Hot Sauce, among other things.
• Funds will be returned to the market by providing Red Beans & Rice samplings, spiked with our 7 Pepper Hot Sauce, and two visits to schools where we’d share the story of God’s Vineyard.