Categories: Market News
Date: Apr 10, 2010
Title: Crescent Fund Winners Announced!
After an exciting week of voting the results are in! Thank you everyone for participating! The official voting booth at the market and the online voting system have been tallied; with almost 900 votes, the market community has decided which projects to fund.
If you missed this round of voting for the Crescent Fund, be sure to cast your vote next time. We will continue to post information about each of these projects as they come to life. Keep in touch to learn more about these projects and see the return on your investment!
The three winners are: (drum roll please...)
Greener, Stronger, Smarter Kidz, Kedila Family Learning Center - New Orleans, LA
- Funds will be used to purchase garden tools and seeds needed to start a vegetable garden at Benjamin Banneker Elementary School. The garden will introduce inner city students, ages 6-14, that participate in the summer camp hosted by the Kedila Family Learning to gardening.
- Funds will be returned to the market through the service learning project that will bring students to the market for volunteer hours doing age-appropriate work during the six-weeks camp.
Do It Yourself (DIY) Energy Auditing Kit, HandsOn New Orleans Tool Lending Library - New Orleans, LA
- Funds will be used to purchase items for a user-friendly DIY Energy Auditing Kit to be loaned out the Greater New Orleans Community including tools and a user-guide. Items would include electricity monitors, thermal leak detectors and sunlight meters; they would be items that homeowners and renters alike can use to assess simple ways to save energy.
- Funds will be returned to the market by offering a variety of treasures: 5 one-year memberships for $50 each; 4-5 picnic tables and or benches totaling at a $250 value; and a free workshop on one of five tasks: constructing a backed bench, constructing a picnic table, erecting a compost bin, building a chicken coop or a garden box.
The Kids Rethink New Orleans Public Schools Summer Camp Lunch Program, The Rethinkers - New Orleans, LA
- Funds will be used to purchase groceries for lunch for 70 Rethinkers and Staff during their 6 week summer camp and the wages of Chef Katie Bingham. The Rethinkers will spend the camp working on top issues that students face including: a photo project documenting the city’s public schools; a regular column for The Trumpet; issues surrounding food justice; turning dreams into designs for future schools with architects.
- Funds will be returned to the market by encouraging schools and their partners to purchase at least $500 worth of fresh fruit from a CCFM vendor for use as the daily fruit snack.
Congratulations to the winners! We are excited to see the next round of applications and we encourage projects that do not receive funding this time to reapply. We will be accepting applications again in August. Learn more about the Crescent Fund and apply. Your project could be funded next!