Date: Jun 19, 2015
Title: Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Serving size: 2/3 cup
1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
¼ cup lowfat buttermilk
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
Pinch of ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Note: this step can be done ahead of time. Line a baking dish with aluminum foil. Prick potatoes with a fork and place them in a baking dish. Spray the potatoes with cooking spray then cover in aluminum foil. Bake for one hour. The potatoes are cooked once they are easily pierced with a fork or knife.
- Allow the potatoes to cool, then peel and throw away the skin.
- In a small saucepan, warm the buttermilk over the lowest possible heat. Be careful not to let it boil or it will curdle.
- Once warm, add the potatoes and orange juice to the pot and mash until smooth. Stir in the orange zest, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Season with salt.
Adapted from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger
Nutrition information for 1 serving: