Date: Jun 19, 2015
Title: Shrimp and Turnip Greens
Serving size: ½ cup
1 bunch turnip greens (about 4 cups)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 pound medium-size raw shrimp, peeled or unpeeled, whichever is available
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
Vegetable cooking spray
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
½ cup chopped green onions
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- Wash and dry turnip greens. Cut the stems off at the base of each leaf using a knife. Tear the turnip greens into ½-inch pieces.
- Sprinkle the turnip greens with lemon juice and gently toss them to coat.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, and cook the greens over medium heat for 15 minutes or until tender. Remove from skillet.
- Peel shrimp if they are not peeled. Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and 1/8 tsp salt.
- Cook in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove from skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium; add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Whisk in flour; cook 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in broth, green onions, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and hot sauce and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in shrimp and turnip greens. Cook 1 minute more. Serve immediately over brown rice.
Adapted from Southern Living
Nutrition information for 1 serving: