Date: Jun 19, 2015
Title: Stuffed Winter Squash
Serving size: 1 squash
4 acorn or any other winter quash
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and black pepper
1 cup Cajun grain rice
2 cups water
½ pound mushrooms (shitake, crimini, white button)
1 bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut top of squash and scoop out seeds. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Bake until soft 30-45 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the filling by cooking rice with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer. Keep covered until all water has been absorbed.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat with olive oil to cook mushrooms until browned on both sides. Set aside.
- Cook pepper and onion in same skillet until tender. When rice is finished cooking, mix all vegetables with rice.
- Remove squash from oven and fill with rice and vegetable mixture. Top with cheddar cheese. Put squash back in oven and bake until cheese is melted.
Adapted from hollygrovemarket.com
Nutrition information for 1 serving: