Crescent City Farmers Market Coordinator
This part-time staff member will assist in the coordination and operation of weekly farmers markets. The Market Coordinator’s main work is in day-to-day market operations, but will also contribute to outreach and promotion of the market and Market Umbrella’s programs and mission. The Market Coordinator will report directly to the Director of Markets.
Market Coordinator is responsible for:
- Market prep - preparing market supplies, beverages, market tokens, point of sale equipment, merchandise, market maps, signage and other supplies required for market events and confirming vendor attendance
- Performing physical market set-up and break-down of tables, tents, and signage and daily operations (rain or shine, year round)
- Staffing welcome tent- includes providing excellent, personable, informative customer service, welcoming new and current customers to market, market merchandise sales, fielding shopper and vendor questions, oversight of volunteers and interns, responding to customer service phone calls and may include beverage service
- Processing credit cards, debit cards, SNAP cards and checks in exchange for market tokens
- Administering market community outreach programs and social benefit currencies programs (FMNP, WIC, SNAP, Marketeers) and other incentive programs at the market which can include issuing and explaining market currencies, market tours, and sharing program or market information
- Vendor relations – includes but may not be limited to directing vendors to spaces according to market map, token reimbursements, rent collection, communicating market endeavors to vendors, addressing and/or communicating vendor inquiries/concerns to appropriate staff person, policy enforcement
- May include procuring ice, making and replenishing coffee and tea and managing beverage sales over the course of market
- Complete market token counts and market financial close-out reports, processing credit card settlements, recording cash sales, counting all rent receivables and recording other inventory counts
- Assisting staff in community outreach work as needed – this can take the form of tabling events, attending community meetings, setting out and collecting yard signs, flyering, etc. and may take place outside of the normal hours set for this position
- Fill in for market staff at other markets as needed
- Assist in maintaining market databases including Marketeers club, senior centers,
community centers and schools and operational protocols
- Contributing to music, prepared food and special event booking and special event planning
- Assisting Director of Markets and Market Manager with other duties as needed
- College degree or current student, or relevant work experience (as in retail, public health, food service, social work, food systems, etc).
- Highly organized self-starter with strong cash handling accuracies, attention to detail, demonstrated customer service skills and excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with microsoft office suite and common social media platforms.
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles preferred.
- Ability to manage relationships with a diverse population (schools, seniors, farmers,
other community members).
- Highly responsible and accountable.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, outdoors year-round and weekends.
- Can lift 40+ pounds repeatedly and throughout the summer and in good humor.
- Familiarity with or enthusiasm for local food systems strongly preferred.
- Shifts may include Wednesdays between 12pm – 8pm, Fridays from 1pm -9pm and Saturdays from 7 am - 3 pm.
Candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.