Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the power of farmers markets to drive economic and community health in the region. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
Thursday Market is operating within its regular hours of 3pm to 7 pm to accommodate the return of Daylight Saving.
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Position Type: Full Time, salaried. FLSA status: exempt.
Salary Range: Minimum $35,000 starting annual salary
Benefits: Paid holidays and Paid Time Off. Health and dental insurance (Market Umbrella funds 75%); vision, life, AD&D and short term disability insurance (Market Umbrella funds 100%). 401K retirement plan (up to 4% Market Umbrella annual match). FSA (125 plan) and HSA: eligible in the following month after a one month waiting period.
Market Umbrella is a 27-year-old community non-profit that operates the Crescent City Farmers Markets, provides community education related to nutrition and healthy eating, and offers a robust array of fresh food access programs. Our work supports Southeast Louisiana foodways and culture, serves as a small business incubator and supporter of the local economy, and provides food access programs to help all New Orleanians have greater access to fresh, local foods. The Crescent City Farmers Market operates three weekly farmers markets in the New Orleans area, hosting over 70 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 100,000 shoppers annually. In addition, Market Umbrella offers a weekly home delivery produce box, a variety of SNAP education and nutrition education programs, and several food access programs including Market Mommas Club and Market Match, and launched the statewide Market Match program, Greaux the Good in 2022.
General Position Description:
The Administrative Assistant is a full-time staff member providing office-wide support in the daily business operations of Market Umbrella. This position is a key customer service position both externally with community stakeholders and internally with other staff, providing solutions-oriented support to all stakeholders. The Administrative Assistant reports to the Interim Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
50% Provide administrative support to Market Umbrella operations
- Maintain overall office organization, including document storage and retention
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the organization’s business telephone line and general information email inboxes
- Scheduling and facilitating board meetings
- Compiling reports
- Provide IT support for staff, and at board meetings
- Proofreading, copy editing, and designing organizational documents. Printing in-house and coordinating external printing when necessary.
- Website regular maintenance and updates
- Order office, market, and grant-related supplies and maintain needed inventory
- Assist with preparing end of year mailed appeals, gift acknowledgements and tax donation letters for donors
- Provide office orientation and onboarding support for new staff
- Grant preparation and reporting assistance
- Support market and fundraising event planning and execution efforts
- Manage all outside vendor accounts and subscription services/licenses, including contract management, procuring quotes for service, equipment maintenance
- Manage the annual completion of SNAP Civil Rights training by all staff, board, and key volunteers/students, including maintaining a Certification of Completion file.
- Data entry as needed - for Market Match token program, donor info, market metrics data collection, etc.
- Assist with office needs related to hurricane preparedness
- Other tasks as assigned
50% Provide support in managing the token economy and market financial transactions
- Using the market closeout to complete reconciliations and financial data entry for each CCFM market.
- Retrieve rent and/or reimbursement tokens from the locked mailbox, verify quantities, and post corresponding entries into QuickBooks.
- Works with staff of the Crescent City Farmers Market to reconcile market transactions and ensure that market financial systems are accurate and efficient.
- Input financial entries into QuickBooks (including all market transactions, accounts payable, bank deposits, etc.).
- Set new token, voucher, and cash banks, as needed.
- Assist with market fee processing and reconciliation. Includes: verifying payment has been made, marking invoices in
- QuickBooks as paid or posting the token market fee payment journal entry, updating the market fee tracking database.
At least two years relevant work experience in office management, communications/marketing, cash management, administration or other related field preferred
High school diploma. Some college accounting coursework preferred
Detail oriented self starter, effective at task switching and meeting deadlines for multiple projects
Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills
IT inclined - familiar with or able to troubleshoot office equipment and software/technology
Proficient with Microsoft Excel, G-Suite
Familiarity with Quickbooks preferred
Familiarity with Salesforce database a plus
Basic HTML programming language experience preferred
Canva experience a plus
Experienced with working with a wide variety of people in a professional context
Spanish and/or Vietnamese language proficiency is a plus
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required
Must have the ability to work in an open-office environment with a highly collaborative team
Some time spent working outdoors at farmers markets, year round, rain or shine, is required.
Ability to lift 40 lbs repeatedly, and maintain a positive customer service attitude.
This position is generally Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, and will be located at the MU
Uptown office location, but some occasional evenings, weekends and market/event work will be required.
We actively encourage a diversity of applicants to apply. Market Umbrella provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round throughout New Orleans. The CCFM hosts 70+ local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 150,000 shoppers annually.