Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the field of public markets for public good. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
Director of Development and Communications
Position Title: Director of Development and Communications
Status: Full Time, salaried. FLSA status: exempt. Some evenings and weekend hours are required. Outdoor market work required.
Salary: $60,000-$80,000 annual salary range.
Benefits: Paid holidays and Paid Time Off. Health and dental insurance (Market Umbrella funds 75%); vision, life, AD&D and short term disability insurance (Market Umbrella funds 100%). 401K retirement plan (up to 4% Market Umbrella annual match). FSA (125 plan) and HSA: eligible on the following month after a 1 month waiting period.
About Market Umbrella:
Market Umbrella is a 25-year-old community non-profit that operates the Crescent City Farmers Markets, provides community education related to nutrition and healthy eating, and offers a robust array of food access programs. Our work supports Southeast Louisiana foodways and culture, serves as a small business incubator and supporter of the local economy, and provides food access programs to help all New Orleanians have greater access to fresh, local foods. The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly farmers markets in the New Orleans area, hosting over 60 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 100,000 shoppers annually. While the pandemic has shifted the market experience, Market Umbrella has pivoted around new approaches for engaging the community, including walk-up and drive-thru markets, at-home food box delivery, and food access programming.
General Position Description:
Market Umbrella is seeking candidates for the newly created position of Director of Development and Communications. This full-time staff member is responsible for leading the fundraising and communications activities of Market Umbrella and the Crescent City Farmers Market. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development and Communications supervises the Administrative Manager, as well as volunteers and interns, and will also interface with the Market Umbrella Board and existing donors.
The breakdown of responsibilities will be roughly as follows:
Resource Development and Operations - 65%
- Lead the development and execution of all organizational grant efforts from public and private sources (pre- and post-award), including writing and preparing proposals, developing performance measures, preparing evaluation plans, and supporting the administration and reporting of grant funds, in accordance with grant guidelines
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan to meet the organization’s budgetary targets as well as create and organize tracking documentation (call reports, moves management grids, etc.) to monitor progress toward goals
- Research, identify, cultivate, and steward individual, corporate, foundation, and governmental donors, and other prospects, including identifying and pursuing opportunities for grant support
- Participate in the solicitation of major donors, both directly and by recommending and implementing cultivation strategies and facilitating relationships with the Executive Director and members of Market Umbrella’s Board as appropriate
- Plan and manage all fundraising campaigns and activities (events, annual giving campaigns, corporate sponsorships, grant applications), including preparing forecasts and evaluations of activities
- Produce solicitation materials, including coordinating and preparing proposals, campaign letters, and corporate sponsorship packets
- Manage and maintain all development database and software systems (Salesforce database and GiveLively donation platform) to ensure development activities and donor interaction are properly tracked
- Oversee gift processing and acknowledgement procedures, ensuring a high-touch response to partners and donors
- Serve as the liaison to Market Umbrella’s Board Development Committee
- Research and stay abreast of fundraising best practices and community developments
Communications - 20%
- Serve as point of contact for organizational media relations
- Oversee the creation of organizational press releases, messaging, and annual reporting
- Spearhead advertising and marketing purchases and relationships
- Supervise the Administrative Manager, including their work on social media, website maintenance, weekly newsletter, donor database management, and office administration
Senior Leadership Team - 10%
- Serve as a member of the MU senior leadership team, working closely with the Executive Director, Director of Markets, Director of Programs, and Finance Director on execution of the organization’s strategic vision and program execution
- Provide targeted funder outreach and senior-level administrative and communications support to specific project efforts as identified by the Executive Director
- Report regularly to the Board of Directors and attend board meetings
Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director - 5%
At least four years of professional work experience including demonstrated success in fundraising and grant writing required. Knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques and best practices, including a familiarity with the New Orleans philanthropic community strongly preferred. Strong professional writing skills required, particularly experience in writing and managing complex federal and state grants preferred. A bachelor’s degree is required, master’s degree preferred. Previous supervisory responsibilities and experience managing donor databases preferred.
Experience with working with a wide variety of people in a professional context, deadline-oriented self-starter, detail oriented, effective written and verbal communication skills, ability to manage several projects concurrently. Commitment to supporting diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion in our work, and a passion for Market Umbrella’s mission of public markets for public good. Staff are currently working remotely, but in the future an ability to work in an open-office environment with a highly collaborative team is required. Some time spent working outdoors at farmers markets, year round, rain or shine, is required in regard to fundraising and in extenuating circumstances where market staff support is needed.
Must have reliable transportation. This position is generally a Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm position, but some evenings and weekends will be required.
We actively encourage a diversity of applicants to apply. Market Umbrella provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references (at least one a current or former supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round throughout New Orleans. The CCFM hosts nearly 60 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 150,000 shoppers annually.